The Georges Head Battery is located on Georges Head, in the suburb of Mosman
, New South Wales
. The Georges Head battery is one of three forts in the area that were built for the purpose of defending the outer harbour. The fort became a command post in the 1890s for the coordination of all of Sydney's harbour defences.
Georges Head battery was built in 1871 after the removal of the British forces from Australia in 1870. Their departure put the onus on wealthy colonies like New South Wales
and Victoria to assist in, and organize its own defences.