Beaumont is a suburb of Adelaide in the City of Burnside. Founded as a purpose-built village by Sir Samuel Davenport in 1848, it initially struggled due to high land prices in the area. However, with Adelaide's inevitable expansion residents eventually settled. The early village had quite a cosmopolitan flavour - although predominantly Anglo-Saxon like most of Australia at this point, many of Beaumont's early residents were veterans of the British Navy or Army or had lived in other countries for some time.
Beaumont House, constructed around 1850 for Augustus Short, still stands and is now owned by the National Trust of South Australia. Edward Burton Gleeson, the founder of the Mid North town of Clare originally owned a farm within the boundaries of Beaumont in the early 1840s, which he named Gleeville. He became bankrupt, sold his holdings to Davenport in 1842 and later moved to the Clare Valley region.