The Museo Mitre (Spanish) (Mitre Museum) in Buenos Aires, Argentina, is a museum dedicated to Argentine history, as well as to the legacy of President Bartolomé Mitre.
Dating from 1785, the Spanish colonial home's first link to Argentine history was as the refuge sought by the last Viceroy of Río de La Plata, Baltasar Hidalgo de Cisneros, following the May Revolution of 1810. The home rented by General Bartolomé Mitre in 1860, and remained his residence during his tenure as the 6th President of Argentina, between 1862 and 1868; in recognition of his term as President, as well as for his contributions to national unity, a group of local citizens purchased the home in his name in 1868, and the statesman lived there until his death in 1906. La Nación, one of the nation's oldest and most influential dailies, was published here from its establishment in 1870, until 1895.
The home was purchased by the National Government via Law 4.943, in June of that year, and on June 3, 1907, the Mitre Museum opened its doors to the public. The museum's first director, Alejandro Rosa, had founded the Western Hemisphere Historic and Numismatic Society with Mitre in 1893, and following the classification of Mitre's extensive ethnolinguistic library, numismatic and other collections, the society was located in the museum from 1918 until 1971 (it was rechartered as the National Academy of History of Argentina in 1938). The museum was declared a National Historic Monument on May 21, 1942, and is maintained by the National Secretariat of Culture. The museum can be seen on some Argentinian two peso bills.